Search This Blog

Monday 7 February 2011

Spear of Destiny - Omega Point

Spear of Destiny – Omega Point
The music that Kirk Brandon creates is no doubt challenging to an extent, it's layered and dense in places, light and airy in others and always recognisable due to his singularly unique vocals, but strip away the grandiose delivery and it is rock music. Maybe not the type that grabs you on first listen, but it is music that imprints an impression and once it has laid some roots it never really lets go.
It gets in there and creates its own space.
Latest album Omega Point proves this beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Initially the opening track Bold Grenadier lulls you into a false sense of expectation with its English folk delivery before the throbbing Undertow lays down the template for the rest of the album.
This is classic Spear of Destiny. Everything that a fan would want and expect.
There's no slacking, no filler and no one is treading water.
I'd heard a good bit of this live before being aware of the studio versions of the songs and I had a bit of trepidation going into it as Spear of Destiny as a live act bring something to the music that can't be captured in the studio, but any worries I had were groundless.
Omega Point is up there with World Service and One Eyed Jacks.
It's awash with memorable tracks. The already mentioned Undertow, Bloody Bill Anderson and Kalashnikov have already become firm favourites of mine, but by next week it could be Model number one, Guinness, Ghosts and Rum or People who live on the moon.
If they were to release a single from it then sticking a pin blindly into the track list would serve just as well as any long thought out process of elimination. They are all that good that any ultimate choice would suffice.
Obviously I shouldn't have to tell anyone to buy this, but of you are a fan of anything Kirk Brandon has done in the past – and I mean anything - and fancy reacquainting yourself then this should be your first port of call.

5 comments:

  1. Compared to their last album (Imperial Prototype) I must admit,I was disappointed with this one. I can't quite put my finger on why but there's just something about it that doesn't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't jump right in for me on the first couple of listens, but it's a grower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its more true to the theatre of hate sound than spear of destiny,a great album by all means and should be listened to

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right man this album was my favorite of 2010 by far, its just so brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just became increasingly more impressed with it the more I played it. A solid release that sits perfectly with the best work Kirk has done.

    ReplyDelete